Join this custom-designed, 13-day travel program visiting seven countries, a UNESCO World Heritage site and the enchanting eastern Danube River Valley, a mystical region steeped in natural beauty that remains virtually unknown to Westerners. Cruise for nine nights aboard the exclusively chartered, deluxe Amadeus Star from the Habsburgs’ imperial capital of Vienna to the Black Sea. Here, a rich mosaic of medieval cities, charming villages and rugged countrysides await you, from the ancient lands of Bulgaria to the relatively young territories of Serbia and eastern Croatia, the spectacular Carpathian Mountains and Hungary’s fabled Puszta (plains) to the glittering palaces of Budapest. Admire a masterful display of traditional horsemanship in the Hungarian heartland, immerse yourself in the Slavic heritage of medieval Belgrade and cruise through the dramatic Iron Gates, which divide the Carpathian and Balkan Mountains.
Schedule by Day
- Oct 7: Depart the U.S.
- Oct 8: Vienna, Austria / Embark Amadeus Star
- Oct 9: Bratislava, Slovakia
- Oct 10: Budapest, Hungary
- Oct 11: Kalocsa
- Oct 12: Vukovar, Croatia / Novi Sad, Serbia
- Oct 13: Belgrade
- Oct 14: Donji Milonavac for Lepinski Vir / Cruising through the Iron Gates
- Oct 15: Nikopol, Bulgaria for Arbanasi and Veliko Târnovo/ Ruse
- Oct 16: Fetești, Romania, for Constanta
- Oct 17: Fetești / Disembark ship / Bucharest
- Oct 18: Bucharest
- Oct 19: Bucharest / Return to U.S.
Per person double occupancy:
- Category C4 (Haydn Deck / Aft): $5,025
- Category C1 (Haydn Deck / Midship): $5,425
- Category B4 (Strauss Deck / Aft): $6,025
- Category B1 (Strauss Deck / Midship): $6,625
- Category A1 (Mozart Deck / Midship / Aft): $7,125
- Suite (Mozart Deck / Midship): $7,725
- Category C4 (Haydn Deck / Aft): $8,040
- Category C1 (Haydn Deck / Midship): $8,680
- Category B4 (Strauss Deck / Aft): $9,640
- Category B1 (Strauss Deck / Midship): $10,600
- Category A1 (Mozart Deck / Midship / Aft): $11,400
- Suite (Mozart Deck / Midship): $12,360
- Nine nights aboard the Amadeus Star
- Two nights at the Athenee Palace Hilton in Bucharest
Spend two nights in Romania’s elegant capital of Bucharest, known for its splendid architecture. Deepen your knowledge of the Danube with the Vienna Pre-Program Option and see authentic castles of local lore on the Transylvania Post-Program Option.
Imperial Vienna: October 5–8, 2023
$895 per person double occupancy
$1,245 single occupancy
Castles of Transylvania: October 19–22, 2023
$995 per person double occupancy
$1,245 single occupancy
Many of the cities and towns being visited were founded centuries ago, and the terrain is rugged. Therefore, a fair amount of walking along narrow cobblestone streets, stone floors or uneven and/or slippery terrain and climbing several flights of stairs (some without railings) is to be expected. Walking excursions often cover distances of at least one mile and are approximately three hours in length.