Group Size: 16 to 25 guests
Price: $3,195 per person double occupancy (standard alumni and guest rate); scroll down for full program rate schedule
Starting in the picturesque seaside town of Nafplio, where the Harvard Center for Hellenic Studies has its headquarters in Greece (CHS Greece), and ending in the great metropolis of Thessaloniki, this travel-study tour takes as its theme the development of scripts and of writing technologies, with a focus on their eventual employment, throughout the ages, in reproducing the sacred texts of the Bible. At museums and historical sites along the way, get up-close views of clay tablets, scrolls, illuminated manuscripts, printing presses, early printed Bibles, and more. While the historical survey will take a generally chronological approach, exceptions will be made in order to take advantage of each city's offerings. Enjoy Greece's stunning landscapes, its long history, and its mild winter season in the company of Harvard students and alumni.
"This travel program is brilliantly conceived, and I predict that it will create an unforgettable experience for all participants. It combines the most stunning visual experiences with clearly presented historical background. Dr. Stone is a genius of a communicator. People of all ages and backgrounds, even those who have previously visited Greece, will be drawn to his panoramic vision of Greek civilization."--Gregory Nagy, Francis Jones Professor of Classical Greek Literature and Professor of Comparative Literature & Director of the Center for Hellenic Studies.
Schedule by Day
- Jan 10: Depart U.S.
- Jan 11: Arrive Athens / Nafplio
- Jan 12: Nafplio
- Jan 13: Nafplio / Athens
- Jan 14: Athens
- Jan 15: Athens / Thebes / Messolonghi
- Jan 16: Messolonghi / Ioannina
- Jan 17: Ioannina / Thessaloniki
- Jan 18: Thessaloniki
- Jan 19: Depart for home
Per person double occupancy (excluding airfare):
- Harvard College Student: $1,995 (Must be currently enrolled as a fulltime Harvard College student)
- Harvard Graduate Student: $2,795 (This rate also applies to HeroesX students and recent Harvard College graduates from classes 2015-2019)
- Standard Alumni & Guest: $3,195
- Single supplement: $550
- Two nights accommodation in Nafplio
- Two nights accommodation in Athens
- One night accommodation in Messolonghi
- One night accommodation in Ioannina
- Two nights accommodation in Thessaloniki
You should be in overall good health and able to walk up to three miles over the course of a day and stand for periods of time in museums, at historic sites, in crowded areas. Some sites require hiking uphill and walking on uneven/slippery/dirty services and are not appropriate for people who have difficulty walking unassisted for long periods without breaks.