Embark on an exciting voyage from the Canary Islands, an autonomous region of Spain off the coast of Africa, to Lisbon. Experience the legacy of medieval Spanish Islamic culture on both sides of the Strait of Gibraltar, and engage with the vibrant contemporary cultures of Morocco and southern Iberia. In the Canaries, discover UNESCO-listed historic towns and lush gardens, then spend a day on Portuguese-accented Madeira. Travel east to Morocco to explore Marrakesh, Casablanca, and Rabat. Continue to the British territory of Gibraltar to ascend its legendary rock and see its famous tailless Barbary macaques. In Spain, step ashore in Cádiz for an excursion to Seville. Pause in the Portuguese Algarve for dramatic coastal landscapes and fascinating history in Sagres and Lagos, before concluding in Lisbon. Our ship, Sea Spirit, is an intimate expedition vessel that underwent a complete refurbishment in 2017. Those with a special interest in horticulture may wish to choose additional visits to remarkable gardens along the way.
Schedule by Day
- April 22: Departure
- April 23: Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain
- April 24: Tenerife, Canary Islands / Embark Sea Spirit
- April 25: Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- April 26: Arrecife, Lanzarote
- April 27: At Sea
- April 28: Funchal, Madeira, Portugal
- April 29: At Sea
- April 30: Safi / Marrakesh, Morocco
- May 1: Casablanca / Rabat
- May 2: Gibraltar, United Kingdom
- May 3: Cádiz / Seville, Spain
- May 4: Portimão / Sagres / Lagos, Portugal
- May 5: Lisbon / Disembark Sea Spirit / Return to the U.S.
Starting from approximately $9,999 per person, double occupancy
- One night in hotel accommodations, Tenerife (to be announced)
- Eleven nights aboard Sea Spirit
- Optional Post-Extension to Lisbon
This trip has more active components, such as walking tours over cobblestone streets, a visit to a volcanic park, and tours of historic buildings that may involve climbing stairs. In April, temperatures in the Canary Islands, Morocco, Spain, and Portugal should be pleasantly warm—in the 60s, 70s, and 80s °F—and sunny. However, we suggest that you bring a light raincoat and/or a folding umbrella. We also recommend you pack a hat, sunblock, insect repellent, and warmer layers for evenings when the temperatures drop. Casual dress is appropriate most of the time with emphasis on layered clothing. Comfortable walking shoes are essential! On occasion, a more conservative dress and demeanor are essential to your visits to Islamic cultural sites of Morocco.