Activities chairs (also known as city captains) are College alumni volunteers who bring classmates and alumni from surrounding classes together in their post-grad cities and regions, serving as key players in keeping College alumni connected to each other. Each class may choose to utilize or manage its chairs in different ways, but duties are generally the same. All activities chairs are expected to organize one event per year in their cities, and most often they do so in partnership with others. Major responsibilities include:
- Communicating with area classmates to publicize events and develop personal connections (via email class websites, Facebook groups, and/or other social media channels)
- Planning events that appeal to the class's diverse interests and foster a sense of community within an area
In locations with more than one activities chair, volunteers collaboratively work as a committee within or across classes. Chairs can share administrative responsibilities, such as event planning and outreach support; they may also choose to assign specific roles to each person. Chairs are encouraged to take advantage of all that an area has to offer and to make the alumni events as inclusive as possible. If you are planning an event, be sure to inquire with your local Harvard Club about the possibility of co-hosting (the local Club may already be planning similar events or those of interest to recent graduates), or to your class committee to determine if funds are available for events that might be a part of a larger series.
Programming organized by activities chairs may include:
- Happy hours
- Harvard games or watch parties
- Community service projects
- Speaker or academic events
- Book clubs
- Forming a team for a local sport league
- Community or professional theater performances or games
Recent-grad activities chairs kick off each academic year by working with the Harvard Alumni Association and their local Harvard Club on Welcome to Your City events in October each year.
If you are interested in becoming a City Captain, please fill out this form.