Southern Africa Odyssey
On this journey of astonishing beauty and supreme adventure, experience the magnificence of four contrasting nations: South Africa, Zimbabwe, Botswana, and Namibia. In southern Africa, diversity reigns from ocean to mountains, from desert to plains, and from waterfalls to extraordinary wildlife. Marvel at the spectacular Victoria Falls, with its 300-foot-deep gorge and thundering spray. Set off on a safari through the bush, followed by a rhino safari in open-top vehicles. Rise with the sun to see the world’s highest crested dunes at Sossusvlei, their red-orange hues constantly changing in the early morning light.
- Set out on an early morning excursion to the dramatic red sand dunes at Sossusvlei.
- Embark on a full-day excursion through the Cape Winelands region.
- Led by former prisoners who openly share their views, tour the notorious 17th-century prison at Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned.
- Take a cable car (weather permitting) 3,500 feet up to the top of Table Mountain.
- Visit the Cape of Good Hope and take a funicular to the summit of the Nature Reserve for a stupendous ocean view.
Schedule by Day
- Oct 18: Depart U.S. for Johannesburg, South Africa
- Oct 19: Arrive Johannesburg
- Oct 20: Johannesburg / Soweto
- Oct 21: Johannesburg / Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Oct 22: Victoria Falls
- Oct 23: Victoria Falls
- Oct 24: Botswana / Chobe National Park
- Oct 25: Victoria Falls/ Windhoek, Namibia
- Oct 26: Windhoek / Namib Desert / Sossusvlei
- Oct 27: Namib Desert / Sossusvlei
- Oct 28: Sossusvlei / Swakopmund
- Oct 29: Swakopmund / Walvis Bay / Skeleton Coast
- Oct 30: Swakopmund / Cape Town, South Africa
- Oct 31: Cape Town / The Winelands
- Nov 1: Cape Town / Cape of Good Hope
- Nov 2: Cape Town / Robben Island
- Nov 3: Cape Town / Depart for U.S.
- Nov 4: Arrive U.S.
- To be announced
- 2 nights at 54 on Bath
- 4 nights at The Victoria Falls Hotel
- 1 night at Windhoek Country Club
- 2 nights at Sossusvlei Lodge
- 2 nights at Swakopmund Hotel
- 4 nights at The Table Bay Hotel
Kruger: Kapama Private Game Reserve, November 4-8, 2018
Transfer to the Cape Town airport for the flight to Hoedspruit or Mpumalanga and drive to your lodge in the Kapama Private Game Reserve. Here, the magic and mystery of Africa begin to unfold as this afternoon you embark on your first game drive. This wildlife region, which sits adjacent to the enormous Kruger National Park, boasts an abundance of bird and mammal species, including the “Big Five”: elephant, lion, leopard, buffalo, and rhino. Experienced rangers accompany you in open Land Rovers to ensure you enjoy close-up encounters with the animals. Enjoy the opportunity to enjoy longer game-viewing hours than guests in adjacent Kruger National Park. Additionally, vehicles can go off-road anywhere in the private reserve and guests are allowed to get out of the vehicle and go on foot, both of which are not allowed in the national park. Spend the next three days embarking on game drives through Kruger Private Game Reserve to see the myriad of flora and fauna surrounding you.
Accommodations: 3 nights at Kapama Southern Camp
Pricing to be announced
Alexander Agassiz Professor of Zoology and Director of the Harvard Museum of Comparative Zoology
For More Information
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.