Pride of South Africa, Namibia, Botswana & Zimbabwe
From the multicultural heritage of the Rainbow Nation to natural beauty, this program showcases the rich culture and exotic wildlife of Southern Africa. Begin in Johannesburg and visit Nelson Mandela’s former home in Soweto. In MalaMala, view the “Big Five” from four-wheel-drive safari vehicles. Continue to Cape Town to take a cable car ride up for spectacular views from Table Mountain, spot African penguins at Boulders Beach, and tour UNESCO World Heritage site Robben Island. Board the M.S. Zambezi Queen as you embark on a cruise along the Chobe River for game viewing and fishing accompanied by naturalist guides. Conclude in thundering Victoria Falls.
- Follow in the footsteps of Nelson Mandela’s “Long Walk to Freedom” during visits to his former home in Soweto and the former prison on Robben Island, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Exceptional wildlife viewing during game drives in MalaMala and Chobe National Game Park, known for some of the continent’s largest concentrations of game, especially elephants.
- Unique perspective aboard naturalist-guided excursion boats to observe the magnificent fauna gathering along the Chobe River’s shores.
- Visit one of the world’s top natural wonders, the magnificent Victoria Falls, Mosi-oa-Tunya (“the smoke that thunders”).
Schedule by Day
- Feb 27: Depart U.S.
- Feb 28: Arrive Johannesburg, South Africa
- Mar 1: Johannesburg
- Mar 2: Johannesburg for Soweto
- Mar 3: Johannesburg / Pretoria / Fly to Skukuza / MalaMala Private Game Reserve
- Mar 4: MalaMala
- Mar 5: MalaMala / Skukuza / Fly to Cape Town
- Mar 6: Cape Town / Robben Island
- Mar 7: Cape Town
- Mar 8: Cape Town
- Mar 9: Cape Town / Fly to Kasane, Botswana / Chobe River, Namibia / Embark M. S. Zambezi Queen
- Mar 10: Chobe River Safari
- Mar 11: Chobe River Safari
- Mar 12: Chobe River / Disembark ship / Chobe National Park, Botswana / Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Mar 13: Victoria Falls
- Mar 14: Victoria Falls / Fly to Johannesburg, South Africa / Depart
- Mar 15: Arrive home
- To be announced
- 3 nights at Fairlawns Boutique Hotel, Johannesburg
- 2 nights in MalaMala Main Camp, MalaMala Private Game Reserve
- 4 nights at Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel, Cape Town
- 3 nights aboard M.S. Zambezi Queen
- 2 nights at The Victoria Falls Hotel, Victoria Falls
Gurney Professor of English and Professor of Comparative Literature
James Engell will cover a variety of topics on this trip such as the natural history and environmental issues of sub-Saharan Africa and Southern Africa, South African history, and literature.
Mode of Travel
The Zambezi Queen offers a truly intimate, sophisticated and elegant small river ship experience while retaining the essence of all that is distinctively African.
For More Information
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.