Sicily by Sail on Sea Cloud II
Trip Type: By Sea
Group Size: 75 guests
Price: Starting at $6,995 DOUBLE/ $6,995 SINGLE (no single supplement on certain cabin categories)
Activity Level: Moderate
Co-sponsored with: Smithsonian Journeys, Metropolitan Museum of Art, National Trust for Historic Preservation
Circumnavigate the seductive island of Sicily aboard the storied Sea Cloud II. Autumn, when the heat and crowds of summer are gone, is the perfect time to discover the countless cultural marvels of this stepping stone between Europe and Africa. Admire Sicily’s diverse landscapes from the comfort of an elegant three‐masted barque, sail into her legendary harbors, and step ashore to admire ancient temples and theaters and glittering mosaics. Visit a private palazzo for a tour with the owner, a Sicilian baron, and explore Palermo’s excellent art museum.
- Spend seven nights aboard Sea Cloud II, enjoying gourmet cuisine and fine amenities as you sail to ancient towns that were once centers of the Greco‐Roman, Carthaginian, and Byzantine worlds.
- Explore the capital city of Palermo, dotted with Baroque churches, Arab mosques, and Byzantine mosaics.
- Visit Agrigento, whose Valley of the Temples contains some of the finest Greek ruins in the world.
- Stroll in Taormina, a romantic hilltop town laden with shops and art galleries, and tour an ancient Greek theater still used for plays and concerts.
- In Syracuse, once Athens’ rival in wealth and culture, see the cathedral built on the ruins of the Temple of Athena and a prized Caravaggio painting in the Church of Santa Lucia alla Badia.
Schedule by Day
- Oct 11: Depart U.S.
- Oct 12: Arrive in Valletta, Malta / Embark Sea Cloud II
- Oct 13: Porto Empedocle / Agrigento, Sicily
- Oct 14: Trapani / Segesta
- Oct 15: Palermo
- Oct 16: At Sea
- Oct 17: Taormina
- Oct 18: Syracuse
- Oct 19: Valletta, Malta / Depart for U.S.
- Cabins 204-206: $6,995
- Cabins 204-206 Single: $6,995
- Cabins 207-210: $7,995
- Cabins 211-217 and 224-231: $9,995
- Cabins 218-223: $10,995
- Cabins 301-302: $10,995
- Cabins 303-319: $12,995
- Cabins 401-402: $14,995
- Single accommodations: No single supplement on certain cabin categories
7 nights aboard the Sea Cloud II
Optional Valetta Pre-Cruise
October 9-12, 2017
- Per person, double occupancy: $1,395
- Single supplement: $355
Carl H. Pforzheimer University Professor, Emeritus
Darnton's possible lecture themes include The Soft Underbelly of Europe; How Italy Was Unified; Failed Revolutions; An Unending Ancien Régime; The Two Sicilies—Naples vs. Palermo; and literary works “The Leopard” and “Christ Stopped at Eboli.”
Mode of Travel
The sailing yacht Sea Cloud II is a three-masted barque steeped in the elegance of yesteryear and complemented with the most modern amenities.
For More Information
Please email email@example.com or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.