Treasures of the Desert: Minimalist Art in Marfa
Discover the secret vibrancy of Marfa, Texas—the artistic community built by Donald Judd and his minimalist contemporaries that has attracted the greatest installation artists in the world. Tucked away in West Texas, Marfa’s desert landscape has inspired hundreds of brilliant sculptures and installations, creating a true renaissance for minimalist art. Contextualize the work of Donald Judd by visiting both his private home and the foundations that he presented. Observe how Marfa’s current artists are carrying on Judd’s legacy and laying the groundwork for a new generation of creative exploration.
- Visit Marfa’s stunning gallery district full of contemporary artwork inspired by the West Texan landscape.
- Gain private access to the prestigious Judd Foundation and take in Donald Judd’s unparalleled collection.
- Stroll through the vast Chihuahua Desert to discover the natural textures that inspired Marfa’s artists.
- Visit the print shop of celebrated artist Robert Arber for a look at his one of a kind collection of lithographs.
Schedule by Day
- Nov 8: Fly to Midland Airport / Transfer to hotel / Welcome dinner
- Nov 9: Judd Foundation / The Block / Jacobs Gallery / Ballroom Marfa
- Nov 10: Early morning sunrise over Prada Marfa / Fort Davis, site of the stunning Chihuahuan Desert Nature Center and Botanical Gardens / Chinati Foundation
- Nov 11: Explore inside artists' studios / Afternoon at leisure / Farewell dinner
- Nov 12: Transfer to Midland Airport
- Per person, double occupancy: $3,495
- Single supplement: $595
4 nights at the Hotel Saint George, Marfa
Escape the hustle and bustle of city life at Hotel Saint George, a modern, polished boutique hotel recently built on the site of the 19th-century hotel of the same name. Located in the middle of town on El Paso Street, the hotel is owned by Tim Crowley, the owner of Crowley Theater and former board president of the Chinati Foundation. Airy, contemporary rooms feature free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs. The hotel offers a refined international restaurant, a rustic bar offering light fare, and a vibrant book and craft store.
Docent Emerita at Harvard's Fogg Art Museum
For More Information
Please email email@example.com or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.