Immerse yourelf in the unique way of life in the beautiful and historic Languedoc-Roussillon Midi-Pyrénées region—a well-kept secret of allure and intrigue—recently redesignated the Occitania region. Uncover the vivid local culture during les belles jours de l’automne (the beautiful days of autumn) and delve into the complex history, tradition and legends of its many past inhabitants, from the ancient Greeks and Romans to the Occitans and the Cathars.
- Discover intriguing Cathar legends and well-preserved medieval towns and villages.
- Stay in charming Albi and in a deluxe, authentic château in the village of Floure, near Carcassonne.
- Experience three UNESCO World Heritage sites—medieval Carcassonne and Albi, and cruise the Canal du Midi.
- Sample renowned local wines, including Blanquette, the world's first sparkling wine.
Schedule by Day
- Sept 22: Depart the U.S.
- Sept 23: Arrive Toulouse, France / Albi
- Sept 24: Albi
- Sept 25: Albi / Gaillac/ Cordes-sur-Ciel / Castanet
- Sept 26: Albi / Castres / Castelnaudary / Canal du Midi / Floure
- Sept 27: Floure / Carcassonne
- Sept 28: Floure / Corbières Mountains / Abbaye de Fontfroide
- Sept 29: Floure / Minerve
- Sept 30: Floure / Toulouse/ Return to the U.S.
To be determined
- 3 nights at the Hotel Mercure Albi Bastides
- 4 nights at the Château de Floure
Cathar Country Post-Program
AM ’59, PhD ’63; Visiting Scholar at Harvard’s Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
For More Information
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.