Japan by Sea on Caledonian Sky
Land of the Rising Sun
Cruise aboard the smallest deluxe expedition ship available in the waters surrounding Japan, venturing beyond the bustle of Tokyo and Kyoto to the tranquil historic centers of Hagi and Matsue, the cultured arts center of Kanazawa, and the charming small islands of Naoshima, Miyajima, and Sado. Excursions highlight both the ancient traditions of the country, with visits to sacred temples and shrines, celebrated gardens and castles, and private cultural performances, to the cutting-edge modern arts and architecture of the Miho Museum, Benesse Art Site, and 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art. During exclusive events, hear about a geisha’s life in Kyoto, take part in a taiko drum workshop with the Kodo Drummers at their home base on Sado Island, and meet a kabuki actor in Tokyo.
- Try your hand at taiko drumming at the remote Sado Island home of the world-famous Kodo drummers.
- Enjoy a special behind-the-scenes guest lecture about the life and training of a geisha in Kyoto, and interview a kabuki actor and watch him transform himself into character during a private make-up and dressing demonstration in Tokyo.
- Learn about local products, from traditional green tea in Uji to the robot assembly at Korea’s Hyundai auto plant and the fascinating world of Toto toilets at their showroom in Tokyo.
- Engage with charming local people during several additional interactive experiences in Kyoto.
Schedule by Day
- April 15: Depart U.S. on overnight flight to Osaka, Japan
- April 16: Kyoto, Japan
- April 17: Kyoto
- April 18: Kyoto
- April 19: Kobe / embark Caledonian Sky
- April 20: Naoshima
- April 21: Miyajima
- April 22: Hagi
- April 23: Ulsan, South Korea
- April 24: Matsue, Japan
- April 25: Kanazawa
- April 26: Sado Island / disembark Caledonian Sky
- April 27: Tokyo
- April 28: Return to U.S.
Per person double occupancy:
- Category A: $9,990
- Category B: $11,490
- Category C: $12,990
- Category D: $13,490
- Category E: $13,990
- Category F: $14,990
- Category G: $15,990
Per person single occupancy:
- Category A: $15,990
- Category B: $18,490
- Category C: $19,990
- 3 nights at the Kyoto Hotel Okura
- 8 nights aboard Caledonian Sky
- 1 night at the Imperial Hotel Tokyo
Pre-trip Extension to Kii Peninsula and Iya Valley
Post-Trip Extension to Kamakura and Hakone
Jeremiah Smith, Jr., Visiting Professor of Law
Mode of Travel
With an intimate ambiance, the Caledonian Sky is perfect for exploring.
For More Information
Please email email@example.com or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.