Arrive in Reykjavik and embark on excursions to Deildartunguhver, site of the country’s largest thermal spring, and Hraunfossar Falls, cold springs that cascade into the Hvítá River. Travel towards the northeast countryside across highlands and fjords. Visit Lake Myvatn and its environs of bubbling mud flats, lava fields, and lunar-like volcanic craters. Stop at Gauksmyri Horse Farm to see Icelandic horses, a unique variety first brought here by the Vikings. In Reynisfjara, walk along the black-sand beach and visit Seljalandsfoss, Iceland’s most photographed waterfall. Conclude by returning to Reykjavik and explore its museums and galleries, theater, boutiques, and restaurants.
- Venture to Deildartunguhver, site of the country’s largest thermal spring, and also to Hraunfossar Falls, beautiful and unusual cold springs that well up through the lava landscape and cascade into the Hvítá River.
- Drive to the picturesque fishing and whale-watching village of Husavik for a Puffin Island bird cruise.
- Set out for Jökulsárgljúfur National Park to enjoy a walk around Hljodaklettar, the labyrinth of “echoing rocks” created by the spiral basalt formations of arches and canyons.
- Travel across the rugged Myvatn Desert to witness one of Iceland’s natural wonders: jaw-dropping Dettifoss, Europe’s most powerful waterfall and Iceland’s “Niagara” with its thunderous falls cascading at a rate of 200 tons per second.
- Explore Reykjavik, a sophisticated European urban center with museums and galleries; theater, symphony, and dance; boutiques and restaurants.
Schedule by Day
- June 21: Depart U.S.
- June 22: Arrive Reykjavik, Iceland / Borgarnes
- June 23: Bogarnes / Snaefellsnes Peninsula
- June 24: Borgarnes / Akureyri
- June 25: Akureyri / Lake Myvatn
- June 26: Akureyri / Jökulsárgljúfur National Park
- June 27: Akureyri / Reykjavik / Selfoss
- June 28: Selfoss / Vik
- June 29: Selfoss / Reykjavik
- June 30: Reykjavik
- July 1: Depart for U.S.
- To be announced
- 2 nights at the Icelandair Hotel Hamar
- 3 nights at the Hotel Kea
- 2 nights at the Hotel Selfoss
- 2 nights at the Hotel Reykjavik Centrum