Begin in Addis Ababa with a briefing at the U.S. embassy. Fly north to the majestic Blue Nile, whose source is considered sacred by the Ethiopian Orthodox Church, and watch the waters plunge down towering cliffs at Tis Issat Falls. Walk among gelada baboons in the breathtaking Simien Mountains. Visit Gondar, Ethiopia’s 17th-century capital, and Axum, the center of the legendary empire of the Queen of Sheba. Marvel at the remarkable rock-hewn churches in Lalibela, then travel to the southern Omo region, where more than two dozen indigenous tribes have lived isolated from the outside world for millennia.
- Visit Entoto Beth Artisan, an Ethiopian social business dedicated to providing fair-wage employment to over 100 local women.
- Meet with the founder of Asni Art Gallery and learn about fine art in Ethiopia today.
- Enjoy an excursion to the Simien Mountains National Park, named a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit the Royal Enclosure upon arriving in Gondar, surrounded by high stone walls and contains five castles.
Schedule by day
- Oct 4: Depart the U.S. for Ethiopia
- Oct 5: Arrive in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Oct 6: Addis Ababa
- Oct 7: Lake Tana
- Oct 8: Gondar
- Oct 9: Gondar
- Oct 10: Axum
- Oct 11: Axum
- Oct 12: Laibela
- Oct 13: Laibela
- Oct 14: Awassa
- Oct 15: Arba Minch
- Oct 16: Arba Minch
- Oct 17: Jinka
- Oct 18: Turmi
- Oct 19: Turmi
- Oct 20: Addis Ababa
- Oct 21: Addis Ababa / Transfer to the airport for flights home
- $8,995 per person, double occupancy/ $1,775 single supplement
- Two nights at the Sheraton Hotel in Addis Ababa
- One night at the Kuriftu Resort and Spa at Lake Tana
- Two nights at Goha Hotel in Gondar
- Two nights at Yeha Hotel in Aksum
- Two nights at Maribela Hotel in Lalibela
- One night at Haile Resort in Awassa
- Two nights at Paradise Lodge in Arba Minch
- One night at Eco-Omo Lodge in Jinka
- Two nights at Buska Lodge in Turmi
- One night at the Sheraton Hotel in Addis Ababa