Enchanting Douro River on AmaVida
Trip Type: By River
Ship Size: 95 guests
Price: Starting from $5,995
Activity Level: Moderate
Co-sponsored with: Metropolitan Museum of Art, National Trust for Historic Preservation, Smith College Alumnae Association, Yale Educational Travel
More information coming soon
Portugal’s Douro River Valley, the birthplace of Port wine, boasts a rich cultural history and rustic charm. Cruise aboard the luxury riverboat M.S. AmaVida through verdant landscapes, stepping ashore to explore timeless villages, tour remarkable museums and historic sites, sample excellent varietals, and savor delicious cuisine. Delight in visits to vineyards, museums and gardens on a special itinerary exclusive to our groups.
- Visit Serralves in Porto on a special architectural tour of its contemporary art museum, designed by Álvaro Siza, a Pritzker Prize-winning architect.
- Enjoy private meals at vineyards including Quinta do Portal, a family-owned wine estate with centuries-old vines and strikingly modern cellars also designed by Álvaro Siza.
- In Salamanca, Spain’s city of golden sandstone, tour the Old Town and delightful Museum of Art Nouveau and Art Deco, housed in Casa Lis, an urban mansion with a stained glass façade.
- Taste northern Portugal’s Vinho Verde at Quinta da Aveleda and stroll through its gardens.
Schedule by Day
- APR 16: Depart for Porto
- APR 17: Arrive in Porto
- APR 18: Porto / Régua
- APR 19: Régua / Barca da Alva
- APR 20: Barca da Alva / Vega de Terrón
- APR 21: Vega de Terrón / Pinhão, Portugal
- APR 22: Pinhão / Régua / Entre-os-Rios
- APR 23: Entre-os-Rios / Porto
- APR 24: Porto / Disembark and depart
Per person double occupancy
- Douro 109-115: $5,995
- Douro 101-108: $6,995
- Lisbon 201-214: $8,995
- Lisbon 215-218: $9,995
- Porto 301-318: $10,995
- Porto 319-320 (Suites): $14,995
- Douro 109-115: $8,995
- Douro 101-108: $10,495
7 nights aboard the MS Amavida
OPTIONAL PRELUDE IN LISBON, PORTUGAL
April 12-17, 2018
In the Portuguese capital, see iconic landmarks including the Tower of Belém, Monument to the Discoveries and Jerónimos Monastery. Discover the gardens and treasured collections at the Gulbenkian and stroll among splendid interiors and whimsical azulejos at the 17th century Palace of the Marquesses of Fronteira. There will be free time to find favorite spots, hear live Fado, and take in dazzling hilltop views from this welcoming city. An excursion to Sintra or Évora, both UNESCO World Heritage Sites, could be included. En route from Lisbon to Porto, spend a morning in Coimbra to visit its UNESCO-recognized university, founded in 1290.
Accommodations: 4 nights at Four Seasons Ritz Hotel (or similar)
Price to be determined
OPTIONAL POSTLUDE IN SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA, SPAIN
April 24-27, 2018
Explore the ultimate destination of the famous Way of St. James pilgrimage at Santiago de Compostela. Tour its contemporary art museum, visit a private manor home and garden, and walk a portion of the Camino in the footsteps of the pilgrims. Take an evening excursion to Cape Finisterre, once thought to be the westernmost part of Iberia.
Accommodations: 3 nights at Hostal dos Reis Católicos
Price to be determined
To be announced
For More Information
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.