Passage along the Blue Danube on Amadeus Silver III
Vienna to Transylvania and the Danube Delta
From the dawn of civilization, the Danube River has ranked among the world’s most storied waterways. Over the course of the past two millennia, it has seen the passage of Roman legions and crusading knights, the indomitable Janissaries of the Ottomans and the proud Hussars of the Habsburgs. A channel for commerce, culture and conquest since its banks were first settled, the Danube links the heartlands of Central Europe with the nations of the Black Sea and the Orient beyond. Join us for an extraordinary opportunity to cruise nearly the entire length of this fabled river, from the Black Sea and the UNESCO World Heritage-designated Danube Delta to the Habsburgs’ imperial capital of Vienna.
This unique and exceptional travel program features six countries, three UNESCO World Heritage sites and the enchanting eastern Danube River Valley, a mystical, seldom-visited region steeped in natural beauty that remains virtually untouched and unknown to American travelers. Cruise for nine nights, to the glittering palaces of Budapest and magnificent grandeur of Vienna, the spectacular Carpathian Mountains and Hungary’s fabled Puszta. Here, a rich mosaic of medieval cities charming villages and rugged countryside awaits you amidst the ancient lands of Bulgaria and Serbia, and spend two nights in Romania’s elegant capital of Bucharest and visit mythical Transylvania, where authentic medieval castles and local lore keep the legend of Dracula alive.
- Visit up to five UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Cruise through the dramatic Iron Gates dividing the Carpathian Mountains and the Balkan Mountains.
- Full-day excursion to fabled Transylvania, with visits to 14th century Bran Castle (Dracula's castle) and fairy-tale Peles Castle.
Schedule by day
- Oct 13: Depart for Vienna, Austria
- Oct 14: Bratislava, Slovakia
- oct 15: Budapest
- Oct 16: Mohács, Hungary / Kalocsa / Embark Amadeus Silver III
- Oct 17: Belgrade, Serbia
- Oct 18: Cruising through the Iron Gates
- Oct 19: Ruse for Arbanasi and Veliko Târnovo, Bulgaria / Svishtov
- Oct 20: Cruising the Danube River
- Oct 21: St. Gheorghe / Cruising the Danube Delta
- Oct 22: Bucharest / Fetesti
- Oct 23: Transylvania / Bucharest
- Oct 24: Bucharest / Romania
- Oct 25: Bucharest, Romania / Disembark ship / Return home
- To be determined
- 9 nights aboard the Amadeus Silver III
- 2 nights in Athenee Palace Hilton Bucharest
- Vienna pre-program option
Continuing Education/Special Program Instructor at Harvard University Division of Continuing Education
Sue Schopf will speak on Vlad Tepes, Bram Stoker, and the Dracula Myth in Folklore and Fiction and Eastern European Modernism: The Avant-Garde in Literature, Art, and Architecture.
For More Information
Please email email@example.com or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.