Science and Cooking in Barcelona
Discover Barcelona and beyond in this springtime trip. In addition to a compelling and in-depth exploration of Barcelona’s cultural and historical gems, you will socialize with special guests and local hosts that include iconoclasts and trailblazers from the worlds of science, gastro-botany, and cooking. Beyond Barcelona, we delve into the singular city of Girona and the dramatic Costa Brava. While world class art and architecture, fragrant wines, and Michelin-starred restaurants are all undeniably beguiling features of these remarkable regions, it is the fascinating personality beneath the surface which transforms the traveler fortunate enough to experience it.
Your Harvard study leader is Michael Brenner, Glover Professor of Applied Mathematics and Applied Physics. Brenner is perhaps best known for the popular Harvard course, Science and Cooking: From Haute Cuisine to the Science of Soft Matter, in which both science and non-science concentrators learn applied science principles through cooking and from guest demonstrations by famous chefs from around the world. Thanks to Brenner’s exceptional network, HAA travelers will be invited into a rarified world of culinary privilege: from the wine cellar and creativity lab at one of the world’s top restaurants, to a hands-on session with a world class chocolatier. It’s sure to be a program peppered with gastronomic delights that will be as enlightening as they are delicious.
- Guided walking tour through Poble Sec neighborhood in Barcelona, which remains virtually untouched by tourists
- "Mad science" with Jordi Herrera, chef / owner of Manairó in Barcelona
- Take the coastal route to Girona and stop for lunch at famed chef Carme Ruscelleda’s San Pau. With her Barcelona San Pau's 3 Michelin stars, and her Tokyo San Pau having earned 2, she is the only Michelin '5 star' female chef in the world.
Schedule by Day
- Apr 18: Fly overnight to Barcelona
- Apr 19: Barcelona
- Apr 20: Barcelona
- Apr 21: Barcelona/Girona
- Apr 22: Girona
- Apr 23: Girona/Barcelona
- Apr 24: Barcelona
- Apr 25: Return home
- $6,995 per person double occupancy
- $1,695 single supplement
- 4 nights at Mercer Hotel (or similar) in Barcelona
- 2 nights at Nord 1901 in Girona
- 3 night optional extension to San Sebastian
Glover Professor of Applied Mathematics and Applied Physics
For More Information
Please email email@example.com or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.