Amazon River Expedition
Featuring Machu Picchu
Explore the boundless diversity of the legendary Amazon River. Spend two nights in Lima before boarding M.V. Zafiro for a five-night cruise along the Amazon, Ucayali, Marañón, and Pucate Rivers. At the Pacaya‑Samiria National Reserve, the largest wetlands refuge in the world, encounter pink river dolphins on a boat excursion. Visit local villages to gain insight into their traditional ways of life and watch a shaman perform an ancient ritual. Venture out on a nighttime adventure to search for nocturnal wildlife. Conclude your journey with visits to the breathtaking Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu, and the Inca city of Cuzco. Enjoy the leadership of expert naturalist guides throughout your trip.
- Explore boundless natural diversity—from delicate orchids to transparent glass frogs and pink river dolphins, from the treetops of the lush rainforest to the depths of black-water tributaries.
- Search for noctural rainforest animals, such as caiman, bats, and capybara during a nighttime excursion.
- Visit local villages to gain insight into the traditional way of life of the ribereños (river people).
- Visit Machu Picchu for the unforgetable site of the sun rising through the morning mist.
- Tour the astounding ruins of a vast Inca fortress and visit the Temple of the Sun.
Schedule by Day
- Mar 10: Depart the U.S. / Arrive Lima, Peru
- Mar 11: Lima
- Mar 12: Lima/Fly to Iquitos / Embark Zafiro
- Mar 13: Cruise the Amazon River / Ucayali River
- Mar 14: Amazon River / Ucayali River / Marañón River
- Mar 15: Marañón River / Pucate River / Ucayali River
- Mar 16: Marañón River / Nauta
- Mar 17: Nauta / Disembark Zafiro / Iquitos/ Fly to Lima
- Mar 18: Lima / Cuzco / Urubamba Valley
- Mar 19: Urubamba Valley / Machu Picchu
- Mar 20: Machu Picchu / Cuzco
- Mar 21: Cuzco
- Mar 22: Cuzco / Lima / Return to U.S.
- Mar 23: Arrive in U.S.
Per person, double occupancy:
- Category B: $9,095
- Category A: $10,295
- Junior Suite: $11,795
- Master Suite: $11,995
- Category B: $12,395
- Category A: $13,095
- 2 nights at Casa Andina Private Collection Hotel
- 5 nights aboard M.V. Zafiro
- 1 night Donesta Posafa del Inca
- 1 night Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel
- 2 nights Palacio del Inka Luxury Collection Hotel
- 1 day room at Costa Del Sol Wyndham Lima Airport Hotel
Dean of Continuing Education and University Extension, Senior Lecturer on English
Michael Shinagel will lecture on the following topics: Harvard Ethnobotanists and the Amazon; Scientific Explorations of the Amazon River, and The Amazon River: Facts and Fictions.
Mode of Travel
The deluxe Zafiro, launching in 2015, will be the newest small expedition river vessel specifically designed to navigate the unique waters of the Upper Amazon River and its tributaries.
For More Information
Please email email@example.com or call our office at 800-422-1636 or 617-496-0806.